Sitting in my studio

My life has changed this year, old certainties have fractured and more than ever it would be easy to doubt everything about myself.  In spite of all of this, one part of me has actually flowered and developed lately  - my life as an artist.  There was a time not so long ago that I would have baulked at even calling myself an artist. 

If an artist is someone who creates art and prioritises creativity, then that is what I am.  I don't pretend to be of professional standard, I don't want to sell my work (and I'm not consistent enough in effort or talent!), but art and creativity in general is essential to my happiness and even my mental health.

Recently I've turned a cluttered barely used spare room into a spacious, colourful studio.  It is utter bliss!  No more packing everything away after every project, or never knowing where anything is.  All my art, sewing and creative projects have a place to go.

My art books are nearby and inspire me to be a better artist and to learn more about the artists I love - Eric Ravilious, Tirzah Garwood, Edward Bawden, Gwen John, Henri Matisse, John Nash and John Piper are currently interesting me and I want to read more about them.  

I have several projects that I want to do in addition to drawing and painting - a rag rug which will eventually be used in the studio itself, a needle felted Herdwick sheep that will sit on a shelf and remind me of a wonderful holiday to the Lakes a few years ago.  There is also a quilt project which I started last year but a recent viewing of the film 'How to make an American quilt' has inspired me to continue!
 Sometimes I love to just go and sit in my studio and enjoy the space and light.  It has the best light in the house, even on a dull day and having this room has made me feel excited about art again. 


Comments