I've been thinking recently about my journey as an artist. Although I was taught a huge amount at school and was encouraged by my teachers, I've realised that I allowed a terrible A Level teacher to impact on my making art for too many years. I still remember her criticism - I was too decorative, was too concerned with colour, that I needed to be more analytical. She wasn't talking about improving technique, which would have made sense and would have been helpful. No she was telling me what my art should be about. She wanted me to be the kind of modern artist who created installations and who would impose my political views on others, who wouldn't find joy in pattern and colour and light. The irony was that she was also my tutor for art history, and we looked at the art of Matisse and Van Gogh and expressionists, of artists who loved light and colour and pattern.


When I left college, I knew I didn't want to be a designer, I wasn't precise enough and I wouldn't have coped with the lack of artistic freedom. I didn't know what I wanted to do. I went into an office job and eventually found a job I enjoyed. I gradually did less and less drawing, although I still loved going to galleries. I had stopped dreaming about going to art college, and eventually I allowed her criticism to stop me being creative.


In the last decade I've come back to creating, and in the last three years it has been a huge part of my life, I've even converted a spare room into a studio. I know I have so much to learn, I can struggle with technique, and I'm certain that I need to slow down and take more time over things. She judged me and found me wanting but wasn't a good enough teacher to help me discover my own art. She should have helped me improve my technique, given me inspiration to practice more often.


I may not be the best artist in the world, but I know I do have some talent and most importantly, I have a need to create. It is part of who I am and I am a lesser person without it. The artists that I love now are mostly painters, people who find joy in colour and pattern and light.


I've realised that my creativity spills over all aspects of my life. It is not just that I draw and paint, my home and garden are creations - I'm not the kind of person who can just have a blank white house with practical items, I need colour and interest and shape and pattern and inspiration. My garden is chaotic and crazy, but its wonderful for wildlife and there is a feast for the senses at every turn. I do a lot of photography that is creative, I'm always looking for beauty in creation, a new composition, ad trick of light.

I spoke to someone recently who actually knew my old art tutor and she wasn't surprised by my criticism, so I do wonder how many people she imposed her attitude on over the years. I'm lucky, I was encouraged by so many people to be creative over the years, and I've started to discover my style and passions. I do hope that someone one day reads this blog and feels encouraged to be creative, as there is nothing to stop you being the artist you want to be.



Comments